Male Breast Reduction: Are you a Candidate for Gynecomastia Surgery?
Enlarged male breasts, a condition medically referred to as gynecomastia, is quite common, affecting more than 60% of the male population at some stage in life — yet it is often a sensitive topic for many men. While gynecomastia is generally a benign condition, it can cause severe emotional suffering and embarrassment. Gynecomastia develops for multiple reasons, including hormonal imbalances. It may also be associated with the use of certain prescription medications and with certain medical conditions. In some cases, the enlargement of the breast is due to excess fatty deposits rather than excess glandular tissue, a condition often referred to as pseudogynecomastia. For those unable to resolve gynecomastia symptoms despite initial efforts under doctor supervision, it is important to know that breast enlargement can be surgically treated to improve the appearance and restore a firmer, flatter male chest.
Ideal Treatment Candidacy
- You are mentally and physically healthy.
- You are within normal body weight.
- You are looking to improve appearance and boost self-confidence.
- Your breast development has stabilized. Most doctors recommend waiting until after puberty before considering surgery, as pubertal gynecomastia can resolve over time.
- You are bothered, embarrassed and/or ashamed by enlarged breasts, i.e. experiencing anxiety about taking your shirt off at the beach or gym.
- You experience physical discomfort from oversized breasts.
- You wear undergarments to disguise the appearance of enlarged breasts.
- You have exhausted appropriate exercise and dieting routines.
- You are not currently taking any medications known to cause gynecomastia. Medication induced gynecomastia can resolve if you substitute medications or stop per doctor advisement.
- Your condition has lasted 12 months or longer.
- You have good skin elasticity which will aptly reshape post surgery.
- You are emotionally stable with realistic expectations for surgical cosmetic achievement.
Consult with a board certified plastic surgeon to determine your candidacy for male breast reduction. Electing a board certified plastic surgeon with extensive training and experience to perform your male breast reduction surgery will minimize associated surgery risks and maximize cosmetic results.
Dr. Douglas S. Steinbrech, M.D., F.A.C.S. is a fully trained plastic and reconstructive surgeon, board certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgeons under the American Board of Medical Specialties. Dr. Steinbrech is a diplomate of the American Board of Plastic Surgery and has been selected as one of America’s Top Plastic Surgeons by the Consumers’ Research Council of America. Dr. Steinbrech performs male breast reduction surgery on an outpatient basis at the JCAHO accredited office-based surgery facility at Gotham Plastic Surgery of New York. There are two types of surgery to treat an enlarged male breast: liposuction surgery which removes breast fat only, and male breast reduction surgery which removes breast gland tissue. Dr. Steinbrech’s clinical appointments include Manhattan Eye, Ear and Throat Hospital, New York University Downtown Hospital and Lenox Hill Hospital. Read more about male breast reduction in New York City, New York, or call (212) 750-0070 to schedule a private consultation with Dr. Steinbrech.